The attack was launched at 0730hrs on the 1st July 1916. Along a twenty mile Front 200,000 British and French troops attacked strongly held German positions. The 36th (Ulster) Division formed part of X Corps.
The Ulster’s objective was to dominate the area on the far side of the river Ancre to the edge of Thiepval village.
The men of 36th (Ulster) Division made their historic charge from Thiepval Wood on the morning of the 1st July and crossed No Man’s Land towards the large fortified German stronghold known as the Schwaben Redoubt.
The Ulster Tower was built on the area of the attack that represented almost the centre of the Divisional Front on the 1st July 1916.