The Dedication & Opening Ceremonies


On the 19th November 1921, a week after Armistice Day and just three years since it had been proposed, the Ulster Memorial Tower was dedicated.  Interior work had been ongoing right up to the opening but the determination of the Memorial Committee ensure it was ready on time, despite many hurdles along the way.

The opening was attended by many distinguished guests from Ulster along with senior British and French military and the Mayors of the French villages of Auchonvillers, Authuille, Beaucourt sur l’Ancre, Beaumont-Hamel, Grandcourt, Mesnil Martinsart, Mailly-Mailly and Thiepval.