On the 90th anniversary in 2006, following a planned excavation and reconstruction programme, the Somme Association were ready to open Thiepval Wood to the public for guided tours.
This image shows HRH The Duke of Gloucester, The Sous-Prefecture of Peronne, Dr Ian Adamson Chairman of the Somme Association and Director Carol Walker, visiting the Commonwealth War Graves in Connaught Cemetery on their way to the Opening Ceremony of Thiepval Wood.
Thiepval Wood is a poignant historical site, which since opening for public tours in 2006 has received a significate number of visitors. The wood is situated in front of the Ulster Memorial Tower and is a lasting reminder of the sacrifice of so many in the First World War.
Ever associated with the 1st July 1916 and the historic charge of the 36th (Ulster) Division it is a living legacy that will continue to educate future generations.